Hospitality and Service
If you would like to be an usher, please call the office and we will arrange for you to have the training you will need to accomplish this important ministry of hospitality and welcome.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE USHERS
- Ushers should arrive 15 minutes before the service in order to greet folks as they come into church;
- Handout service bulletins (making sure the service books have the proper insert for the day);
- Identify visitors and new comers to the rector and offer them our welcome card to be filled out and returned;
- Select two people to carry the bread and wine from the back of the church to the altar during the offertory;
- Collect the offering of money and pledges during the offertory and bring it up to the altar for blessing;
- Assist the rector during the service;
- Accurately count every man, woman, and child attending the service and how many take communion and enter those numbers on the form provided;
- At the end of the service collect all service bulletins and remove inserts (place them in the recycle bin at the entrance of the church (southwest door);
- Count the collection and place it and the form with the name of the celebrant, preacher, date, and service time, and your names (both ushers) on it in the brown paper bag provided and
- Make sure it is delivered to the office and secured in the area provided.
We will be placing cards with the names of the different readings on them (First Reading, Psalm, Second Reading, and Prayers of the People) on the altar.
We invite members of the congregation to come up and take the card for the reading you would like to do. When you come to the podium to read, simply place the card under the book in which the readings are located.
We have also decided that the chalice bearers can also self-select on Sunday mornings and cards will be placed on the altar just like the readers' cards that read "Chalice: Previously Trained," which simply means that before selecting this card the person should have been trained by the clergy to do this ministry. If you are interested in doing chalice bearing, please call the office and we will provide you with the appropriate instruction.